Fantastic support shown at 2021 Ram sale – September, 2021 at Karbullah, Goondiwindi
Stephen and Clare from LRW Rural with Lot 135 together with Luke and Mark Murphy. Top price ram going to Glenwood Merinos, Wellington Norm and Pip Smith for $10200. Great late September Drop Ram with excellent ASBV’s for Glenwood flock.
2019 Sale results
Thanks to all the support from clients this year during a challenging year.
2019 RAM SALE – MONDAY 16th SEPTEMBER
- 120 rams available through Helmsman auction
- Auctions Plus Sale
- Grade rams available on the day
- Full ASBV’s available
- Food and refreshments available
2017 RAM SALE:
KARBULLAH POLL TOPS $5300
By Sarah Murphy
It was a successful sale for the Murphy family on Monday in wake of the dry conditions in QLD, with the Karbullah Poll Merino sale making a top price of $5300 to an average of $1340.
Over 30 buyers arrived on the day, with 140 rams selling through the Helmsman and auction system run by AWN Livestock and a further 10 grade rams selling after the sale.
The top price ram was Lot 23, purchased by TJ & MJ Clarke from Warialda, NSW for $5300, who has a soft, white 18.5 micron fleece, with Australian Sheep Breeding Values (ASBV’s) of 8.9 for growth, 1.9 for eye muscle, 0.8 for fat, -45 for wec and 15.4 for clean fleece weight , with the ASBV’s for growth and eye muscle being in the top 10% in the country.
The second top price ram was Lot 118, who went for $4000 to Rosedale Pastoral, Yelarbon, with 19 micron wool and ASBV’s of 5.8 for growth, 1.7 for eye muscle, 1.1 for fat, -41 for wec and 8.4 for clean fleece weight, with the eye muscle and fat being in the top 10% Australia wide.
There were several volume buyers on the day, with both repeat and new buyers purchasing more than 5 rams from the rams presented.
Repeat buyers, KR & DL Moon from Burren Junction, NSW purchased 16 rams to an average of $1000, along with LR, NC & DF Brown, who purchased 12 rams to an average of $966 and Wharparilla Pastoral Co, who bought 9, averaging $922.
Rosedale Pastoral, Rissman family, total purchases of 5 rams averaged $3000 and Littleton Partnership, O’Sullivans of Dirranbandi, bought 4 rams to an average of $1900.
JT Agri-source consultant and Bred Well Fed Well advocate Dr Jason Trompf was the guest speaker for the day, giving a presentation on lamb survivability and ewe reproduction to a rapt audience prior to the sale commencing at 12:30pm, pressing the importance of fat and muscle in improving lamb survival rates in merino sheep.
Karbullah Saltbush Meat products was on the menu for the day with donations for food raising $366 for Blue Care Goondiwindi
2016 RAM SALE
2016 Sale Summary
- 148 rams sold on the day
- Top price $4500, sale average $1724, with helmsman averaging $2054
- Top priced ram was lot 12, sold to Andrew Burgess, Ruby Hills Merino Stud, Walcha, NSW with a micron of 18.1 and ASBV’s of 6.8 for YWT, 1.0 for YFAT, 1.0 for YEMD, -42 for YWEC, 2.8 for YSC and 12.4 for YCFW.
- Strong demand in Northern NSW and Southern QLD areas with 31 rams going to the Walgett/Mungindi area, 46 rams to the Thallon/Dirranbandi area and 18 rams into the Goondiwindi area.
- Rams travelled as far as Julia Creek and Winton in north QLD, Junee in southern NSW and Armidale/Walcha/Emmaville in the NSW Tablelands
- Colanya Poll Merino Stud, Longreach, QLD owned by Pat and Sue Hegarty are dispersing their stud and had 11 rams available on the day, clearing 9.
- A variety of local Artwork, Photography and Handicraft was on display in the woolshed.
- A drawing of a lamb by Vicki Murphy was auctioned off for $220, with proceeds going to the Royal Flying Doctors Service.
2015 RAM SALE
2015 Sale Summary
- Full clearance of 120 rams
- Top price of $4000, with an average of $1611
- Top priced ram was Lot 3 to Bill Beatty from Mungindi and had a micron of 17.7 and ASBV’s of 6.1 for growth, 2.1 for muscle, 1.6 for fat and -41 for worm egg count
- Second to ram was Lot 5 to Russell Beatty, Dunwinnie Farming and had a micron of 18.8 and ASBV’s of 6.8 for growth, 1.5 for muscle, 1.3 for fat and -31 for worm egg count
- Volume buyers were Ken and Debbie Moon from Burren Junction with 12 rams, averaging $1358, Maurice, Maxine and Nick Murphy from Thallon with 9 rams, averaging $1456 and Brett and Louise Fulwood from Daymar with 8 rams, averaging $1737.
- ASBV averages for the sale were 6.0 for growth, 1.3 for muscle, 1.1 for fat, -25 for worm egg count, 1.2 for scrotal, 7.8 for clean fleece weight and 10.8 for staple length.
- This years food stall fundraiser went to Goondiwindi State High School Gallipoli Group.
2014 RAM SALE
2014 Sale Summary
- 133 rams sold
- Top of $3400, with an average of $1170
- Top ram was bought by Bill Beatty from Mungindi and had a micron of 19.9 and ASBV’s of 8.6 for growth, 1.1 for muscle and 0.9 for fat
- Second top ram was bought by Russell Beatty, Thallon, with a micron of 19, with ASBV’s of 9.1 for growth, 2.2 for muscle and 1.4 for fat
- Volume buyers were Russell Beatty, with 6 rams, averaging $2083, Bruce and Andrew Marshall from Walgett, with 10 rams, averaging $890 and Malcolm McMillan from Collarenebri, with 9 rams, averaging $1244
- ASBV averages for the year of 2014 drop were: 6.2 for growth, 1.2 for muscle, 1.0 for fat, -25 for WEC, 1.4 for scrotal and 10 for clean fleece weight
- This year’s fundraiser food stall went to Emma Hegarty’s Julia Creek Dirt ‘n’ Dust triathlon team for Diabetes QLD, with $500 being raised
2013 RAM SALE
2013 Sale Summary
- 170 rams sold
- Average $1083
- Top priced ram went for $5400 to Pat, Sue and James Hegarty of Colanya Grazing, Longreach
- Top priced ram had a micron of 16.8 and ASBVs of 8.9 for growth, 2.0 for muscle, 1.5 for fat, 18 for clean fleece weight and was twin born and reared
- Nine other rams made it over $2000 and had an average micron of 18.3 and ASBVs of 7.2 for growth, 1.6 for muscle and 1.1 for fat
- Volume buyers were MF and MM Murphy of Thallon, Qld with 19 rams and ST and AJ Murphy of Collarenebri, NSW with 16 rams
- Buyers came from as far away as South Australia in the south and Winton in North Queensland
- The BBQ was a fundraiser for the Goondiwindi State High School Gallipoli trip
2012 RAM SALE
2012 Sale Summary
- 150 rams sold in our best ram same too date
- Average $1397
- Top priced ram went for $5000 to Pat, Sue and James Hegarty of Colanya Grazing, Longreach, Qld
- Top price ram had a micron of 19.5 and ASBVs of 8.4 for growth, 1.2 for muscle, 1.3 for fat and -50 for worm egg count
- The Hegarty’s also bought a second ram for $4500, who had ASBVs of 8.4 for growth, 1.2 for muscle, 1.3 for fat and -39 for worm egg count and was twin born and reared
- The second top priced ram went for $4800 to AJ and GF Beatty, Thallon Qld, and had ASBVs of 9.1 for growth, 0.7 for muscle and 0.5 for fat.
- Volume buyers included Bruce and Andrew Marshall, Walgett NSW with 18 rams averaging $1152, Shane and Andrea Murphy, Collarenebri NSW, with 17 rams averaging $1208 and Shane and Jodi Axford, Winton Qld, with 16 rams averaging $1884
- Buyers travelled as far as Winton in North Queensland and Hopetown, Victoria
- Catering raised over $600 for Blue Care, Goondiwindi